Home About History Contact Availability Articles Plot Plan Projects Database

History
Old Slates
Great Awakening
19th & 20th Centuries
Military Service
Map

19th and 20th Centuries

In the 19th c. urns, swags and obelisks carved from marble and granite replaced the simple slate of earlier stones.

9. Cousens Family – ca. 1870-80. Gothic arched stones, a popular architectural feature of that time.
Picture

10. Ignatius Orcutt– The classic willow tree and urn motif reflects an age that no longer feared the howling wilderness of the Puritans nor Calvanist damnation. Picture

11. Osgood Family Plot – The large boulder at the base of the Tower columbarium marks the gravesite of Rev. Joseph Osgood, who is credited with working to establish the school system in Cohasset. Joseph Osgood School is named in his honor. Picture

12. Lothrop Family Plot – Note the cast iron twig and branch fence surround. Picture

13. Lulu, Jennie, Linda Tower – d. ca. 1860s. Sleeping children and lambs memorialize the Tower sisters. This symbolic motif was beloved by Victorians. Picture 1 Picture 2

14. Celtic Cross – Erected in 1914 by the Ancient Order of Hibernians to memorialize the 99 victims lost aboard the Brig St. John of Galway, wrecked on the Grampus Ledge off Cohasset in a severe storm in 1849. The 45 bodies recovered are buried beneath the Cross. Picture

15. Samuel L. Jenkins – d. 1886. Jenkins was from a seafaring family. Note the anguished female statue with anchor. Picture

16. William Hanlon – With six brothers, he formed a national touring “pantomime” theater company. Authoritatively described as the founder of American vaudeville theater. Picture

17. Gaylord Family Plot – This white marble gravestone marks the grave of Cohasset’s only known Congressional Medal of Honor recipient, Levi B. Gaylord. He received the medal for heroic action on the road to Richmond during the Civil War. Picture

18. Caretakers Building - Built as a Receiving Tomb in 1873. Note filigree on roofline.

19. Pratt Family Monument – The inscription had become unreadable. Records read “When this stone has crumbled to dust, our descendants will erect another more d urable.” In 2000, a new bronze plaque was attached to the back of the original, giving the chronology of the family’s history in America from Phineas Pratt’s landing in Plymouth in 1622. Picture

20. Cumner Columbarium - Built in 1982.

21. Tower Columbarium - Built in 1988.


Home / About / History / Contact / Availability / Articles / Plot Plan / Projects /Database